While nails can be a canvas for self-expression, they’re also an indicator of our overall health. Take a few minutes to make sure your nails are getting the proper care they deserve.
Phoebe Rich, a board-certified dermatologist and professor of dermatology at Oregon Health Science University, shares a few tips in this video for how to keep nails looking healthy.
- Keep nails shaped and free of snags by filing them with an emery board.
- Don’t use your nails as tools.
- Trim your toenails regularly.
- When your toenails are thick and difficult to cut, soak your feet in warm salt water.
- Avoid “digging out” ingrown toenails.
- Wear shoes that fit properly.
- Wear flip flops at the pool and in public showers.
*This video was originally posted to the American Academy of Dermatology’s website and YouTube channel.