Basket weaving might be a lost art, but you can always make it modern by incorporating this technique onto your nails. Alpana Ladwani of Punjab, India (@alpsnailart) shows how to do this cross-hatch pattern for added texture.
What you will need:
- OPI Alpine Snow
- OPI Pamplona Purple
- Plastic sheet
- Sandwich bag
- Orangewood stick or cuticle pusher
1. Apply 2-3 thick coats of nail polish over a plastic sheet. Let it dry overnight.
2. With the help of a metal file and ruler, create lines on the dried swatch of nail polish.
3. Cut thin stripes of 2 mm in width.
4. Stick one side of stripes on any surface with tape.
5. Lift first, third, and fifth strips, and insert vertical strip to start weaving.
6. Lift alternate strips and use them to sandwich the vertical piece.
7 and 7a. Continue weaving by lifting alternate strips.
8. Cut the excess from the sides.
9. Paint nails purple, and see how pattern will fit the nail.
10. Apply a coat of polish and stick weaved applique on the wet polish. Press the applique with the help of an orangewood stick or cuticle pusher and set it according to nail size.
Follow Alpana on Facebook for more amazing nail art.